Best Natural: Rub On Relief Fast
Impressive collection of active ingredients
Starts working within minutes
Strong menthol smell
Looking for an all-natural way to reduce inflammation and pain? Try Rub Ons Fast-Acting Pain Relief Cream. It draws on anti-inflammatory ingredients like cetyl myristoleate and MSM to soothe the skin.
Arnica further calms the skin while ingredients like peppermint oil and camphor work together to cool it off.
Best Cooling Gel: Tiger Balm Arthritis Tiger Balm Rub
Pump makes it easy to dispense
Some people find it works better on muscle pain than joint pain
Smell may be overpowering for some
Containing a blend of natural herbal ingredients, Tiger Balm Arthritis Rub provides safe, fast, budget-friendly relief from arthritis joint pain and muscle aches. If you’re experiencing symptoms like redness, warmth, and swelling, look for something containing like menthol and camphor, which are both ingredients in this product. These ingredients distract from the pain via cooling sensations.
Dispensed from an easy-to-use arthritis-friendly pump, this anti-inflammatory topical lotion isnt greasy and doesn’t contain skin-drying alcohol. While it’s typically used for deep pain relief, like sore muscles, it can also be used for superficial pain, like shingles. However, it shouldn’t be used on broken skin or open wounds or on irritated, inflamed, reddened, or dry skin.
Active Ingredients: Camphor and menthol | Dose: Apply to affected areas no more than three to four times daily | Uses: Temporary relief of minor muscle and/or joint pain
Patch, so it doesnt stain or make a mess
Comes in two sizes can trim to fit a particular area
Some people find the patches wont stay on their skin
These patches put all the pain-relieving ingredients right where you need them. It’s a no-muss, no-fuss product with three powerful analgesics: camphor, menthol, and methyl salicylate.
Not everyone finds relief using arnica
Best Cream: Sayman Salve Wonder Rub
Product can be sticky
Some users report feeling nothing when using this product
Three powerful pain fighters give this creamy oil a punch. It contains max strength lidocaine alongside a botanical blend that aims to desensitize aggravated nerves. Together, they dull pain, reduce inflammation and swelling, and relieve stiff joints. Lidocaine, a numbing medication, is a common ingredient in over-the-counter topical medications and can be very helpful. It comes in multiple forms, sometimes combined with other medications, says Dr. Barsoum.
The time-tested formula has more than 150 years of history to its credit, which boasts a pleasant texture and efficient pain relief on hands, feet, and other achy areas. Arnica creates an instant cooling sensation, while hemp oil targets inflammation and cannabinoid receptors. Its clear and has almost no odor.
Active Ingredients: Lidocaine, hemp oil, and arnica | Dose: A thin layer applied to affected areas every six to eight hours | Uses: Temporarily relieves minor pain
Read Also: Massage Therapy School Murfreesboro Tn
How To Make Sore Muscle Rub With Essential Oils Plus Pain Salve Recipes
Learn how to make a sore muscle rub using herbs and essential oils as a natural remedy for pain. Discover several of my best pain relief salve recipes that you can make at home including several essential oil blends you can try. This collection of recipes for pain relief are formulated using basic ingredients that are easy to source and dont require a preservative. So, theyre perfect to make at home!
Whats In A Pain Relief Cream
Most pain relief creams have a lotion-like and somewhat moisturizing base. They often contain mineral oil, glycerin, and other ingredients that are easy on the skin and absorb well without leaving a greasy or sticky film. The majority of these products are sold in a tube, but youll also find pump dispensers, jars, and even roll-on formats.
But its the active ingredients that really distinguish one product from another, and there are quite a few different active ingredients youre likely to find on drugstore shelves. These ingredients fall into six basic groups: salicylates, anaesthetics, capsaicin, counterirritants, hemp oil or CBD, and herbal or homoeopathic formulas. Many pain-relieving creams combine two or more ingredients from more than one category.
Salicylates: Salicylate, or salicylic acid, is the active metabolite in aspirin. Its often included in pain-relieving creams in the form of wintergreen oil, which has a distinct and strong fragrance. This pain buster helps relieve discomfort by reducing inflammation and swelling. Its especially good for muscle pain caused by overuse or arthritic joint pain. When applied topically, the salicylic acid penetrates the skin to reduce pain and swelling inside achy joints. People who are sensitive or allergic to aspirin should not use pain-relieving creams containing salicylates.
Read Also: Cincinnati School Of Medical Massage
Capsicum Pain Relief Cream
Capsicum is an extract from the chilli or cayenne pepper which reduces pain by continuously stimulating nerve endings in the skin at a very low-level. This depletes nerve endings of neurotransmitter chemicals so they become less sensitive and pass on fewer pain messages to the brain. Those messages that are passed on tend to get screened out as they brain shuts off distracting, low-level irritation. Ingredients that do this are known as counterirritants. These effects also reduce sensation from underlying painful joints. See the best capsicum containing rubs at or . Warning! These are HOT to use, but really relieve muscle and joint pain. Wash your hands thoroughly after use and do them rub your eyes by mistake during use.
Homemade Warming Rub For Sore Muscles From Mommypotamus
This homemade muscle rub creates a soothing, warming sensation, then transitions to a refreshing, cooling sensation. This makes it perfect for soothing tense muscles after an uncomfortable nights sleep, or sore muscles after strenuous activity.
It uses key ingredients such as cayenne pepper, which stimulates circulation and increases blood flow to the affected area. Additional ingredients include essential oils such as peppermint, eucalyptus, wintergreen, copaiba and juniper berry extract.
Recommended Reading: Massage Envy West Bloomfield Mi
Talk With Your Doc About Combo Treatments
Sometimes a pain cream or gel is all you need. But if that’s not cutting it, ask your provider about ways to make your topical work harder.
“A combination of topicals and systemic medications like acetaminophen or NSAIDs can be effective for acute pain,” Dr. Mikhael says.
How To Use Your Oils
Essential oils are potent. If they arent used properly, they can irritate your skin and actually add to your swelling. Essential oils must be diluted with a carrier oil before application.
Although carrier oils absorb some of the essential oils potency, they dont interfere with its therapeutic properties. They simply reduce your risk for irritation.
Recommended Reading: Massage Therapy Of Oak Park
Are All Muscle Pain Relief Creams Built The Same
How muscle pain relief creams are made is important in determining how they work, so to answer the question: not all muscle pain relief creams are built the same.
Pay close attention to the active ingredients in the cream itself, as this will help you decide on whether it would work for you and your particular condition or concern.
Common active ingredients in muscle pain relief creams include:
- Aloe Vera: helps ease overworked and cramping muscles, as well as calms and soothes the mind while relieving pain.
- Arnica: reduces swelling, decreases pain, and acts as an antibiotic.
- Camphor: treats muscle aches and pains, while stimulating circulation, by interacting with receptors on the sensory nerves camphor oil can also help reduce chronic muscle and joint pain over longer periods.
- Diclofenac sodium: a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug thatreduces swelling and pain treats aches and pains related to joints, muscles and bones such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Glucosamine: helps to ease moderate to severe pain , improves the elasticity of cartilage and inhibits enzymes that break it down.
- Hemp: the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of hemp can help reduce pain by acting on a variety of biological processes in the body and reducing inflammations.
- Menthol: a counterirritant that causes the skin to feel cool and warm , and treats minor aches and pains of the muscles/joints such as arthritis, backache, sprains.
Homemade Sore Muscle Rub From Sass En Masse
This homemade sore muscle rub is anything but complicated. It uses just three ingredients for the salve base , followed by four essential oils: eucalyptus, lavender, black pepper, and peppermint, and vitamin E oil to preserve.
It takes just 25 minutes to prepare, then 15 minutes to cook, so youll have effective muscle relief in no time!
Recommended Reading: Where Are Infinity Massage Chairs Made
Best Herbs For Sore Muscles
There are several herbs that you can use to make a warming muscle rub. You shouldnt use all of these herbs in a single recipe, but you can combine two or three of these herbs to make a pain relief balm. To use herbs when formulating a pain relief cream or salve, you do need to infuse the herbs in the carrier oil youve chosen for the recipe first.
- Ginger root is often used for pain relief. Its warming and is said to reduce inflammation.
- Lavender flowers are calming, so they can help lower stress levels when you are in pain. However, they can also help soothe minor pain when applied topically.
- Peppermint leaf can be used topically to relax tense muscles. It can also soothe and reduce pain.
- Pine needles arent often used in pain relief salve recipes, but they should be. They can help reduce inflammation.
- can relieve minor aches and pains. Its said to have minor analgesic properties.
- Arnica flowers work by boosting circulation to promote healing.
- Turmeric root is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Black peppercorns reduce inflammation and may also assist in reducing pain. Like ginger and cayenne, this spice also has warming properties.
- Cayenne is said to work by blocking pain signals. You can infuse dried cayenne powder or purchase cayenne extract and oils.
Frankincense Oil For Sore Muscles
Frankincense essential oil works much like thyme oil does in that it blocks the enzyme COX-2 from doing its job and spreading inflammation.
How to Use
Add a few drops of frankincense oil to your bath and soak in it for 20 to 30 mins to reduce muscle inflammation and relax the muscles. Or, combine it with a carrier oil in a 1:1 mixture and massage the mixture into the problem area.
You May Like: Massage Close To My House
Rolyan Deep Prep Therapeutic Massage Cream 8 Oz
- Deep tissue massages and instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization helps to alleviate scar tissue after surgery or injury
- Excellent creme takes the place of massage lotion, oil, and gel and can be used on all areas of the body post rehabilitation for increased speed of recovery
- Beeswax-free version of the original deep tissue prep cream, made with synthetic beeswax for those allergic to bees and bee stings
- Thick cream with superior glide and friction for long lasting use during any deep tissue, swedish, or sports massage
- Ideal for deep tissue massages to help alleviate scar tissue after surgery or injury
The Best Muscle Rubs In 2022 Are:
- Best overall Best CBD muscle rub Pure Sport CBD muscle & joint balm: £30, Puresportcbd.com
- Best muscle rub for runners Premax recovery cream sour cherry: £16.79, Freewheel.co.uk
- Best for a cooling sensation Biofreeze pain relieving spray: £39.84,
- Best luxury muscle rub Holistic Impact CBD body salve: £120, Holisticimpact.co.uk
- Best for improved sleep This Works sleep plus massage relief: £30.40, Thisworkscbd.com
- Best muscle spray BetterYou magnesium muscle body spray: £9.70, Betteryou.com
- Best heated balm MOi + ME CBD tension balm: £30, Moiandme.com
- Best organic muscle rub Neals Yard arnica salve: £10, Nealsyardremedies.com
- Best muscle rubs for legs Bloom and Blossom legs eleven cooling leg serum: £29, Bloomandblossom.com
- Best British muscle rub Inlight Beauty rosemary & hypericum recovery balm: £27, Inlightbeauty.co.uk
- Best peppermint muscle rub Tea and Tonic muscle tonic relief balm: £35, Teaandtonic.co.uk
- Best muscle lotion Eresos active muscle therapy balm: £45, Eresos.co.uk
You May Like: Center For Massage Therapy Ce
Best Homeopathic: Penetrex Joint & Muscle Therapy
This popular cream gets its pain-fighting power from arnica, a homeopathic remedy that may be helpful for easing muscle and joint discomfort, particularly when it comes to back pain, according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.
Keep in mind that homeopathic remedies aren’t subject to the same scientific scrutiny as conventional pain relievers. But this might be worth a try if you’re looking for a more natural option, as long as you get the green light from your doctor first.
Buy it: Price:$18.95
Eucalyptus Oil For Sore Muscles
You can also use eucalyptus essential oils for pain relief of the muscles. Eucalyptus oil contains a chemical called cineole. In fact, eucalyptus has one of the highest concentration of cineole that you can find in plants. Cineole gives eucalyptus oil its anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties.
How to Use
Eucalyptus oil is very strong and should not be used directly. Mix a few drop of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil and massage it into the sore muscle area. Inhalation is also recommended via a diffuser.
Recommended Reading: Massage Therapy Salary Per Hour
Zenrenu Organic Hemp Muscle Rub
- Natural, organic, sustainable
- Pricey for size
Sustainably made and organic, this peppermint-smelling muscle cream uses a laundry list of essential oils and natural ingredients to quiet your pain, including turmeric, MSM, arnica, aloe, helichrysum, peppermint, camphor, and copaiba. It also contains hemp extract, which can have anti-inflammatory properties and other benefits for the cardiovascular and immune systemmuch like fellow cannabis product, CBD. ZenRenus rub is on the pricey side, but users rave that its been effective in relieving their soreness and pain. If youre on the fence, the USA-based company has a 30-day-back guarantee, so you can try a small amount and return the product if it doesnt work for you.
HIGH-STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF
- Effective against IT band syndrome, plantar fasciitis, and shin splints
NO-MESS BUDGET PICK
- Won’t get all over your hands
Biofreeze Pain Relief Muscle Rub Gel
- Powerful menthol tingling
- Distracts from pain but doesn’t necessarily ease it
Like an ice bath for your muscles, this easy-to-apply gel provides some relief from post-run soreness, inflammation, and minor achesor at least it distracts you from that pain long enough to feel like its helping. Thats actually the crux of how it works through whats known as gate-control theory. Menthol in the gel serves as a skin irritant to draw your brains attention from the pain, which makes it more or less effective depending on your bodys reaction to the active ingredient. When it works, it really workswhich is why youll find so many users swear by the stuff. Available in a tube or roll-on, it goes on cold and tingly, but with none of the overwhelming odor of Bengay or IcyHot.
Read Also: Biotone Dual Purpose Massage Creme 1 Gallon
The Feel Good Lab Natural Pain Cream
- Natural ingredients
- Subtle smell
For a slightly more modern-lookingbut still all-naturalrub for your sore muscles, the Feel Good Lab makes this cream with a veritable witchs brew of plant-extracted ingredients, including arnica, magnesium, aloe vera, menthol, skullcap, and dozens more. It seems fitting that fans of the stuff have described it as a magic cream.Runners World test editor Amanda Furrer says she keeps it on her nightstand drawer in case muscle soreness crops up on her neck, shoulders, feet, or ankles. It instantly has that cooling effectand the smell is more subtly menthol, she says.
PHYSICAL THERAPISTS PICK
Best For A Massage: Free
This smooth, non-greasy lubricant doesn’t contain any active pain-relieving ingredients. Instead, it’s designed to act as a friction-reducer for massages another tactic for soothing tight, overworked muscles.
Use the hypoallergenic, fragrance-free cream on your hands to get a deeper rub on areas like your knees, feet or wrists, or hand the jar to your partner or friend for help with your back, shoulders or neck.
Buy it: Price:$59.50
Don’t Miss: Deep Tissue Massage Greensboro Nc
Comfrey Pain Relief Ointment
Comfrey root has a long history of traditional use to heal wounds and fractures when applied as a poultice, and was commonly known as knit bone. Modern research shows that comfrey contains two main active ingredients: allantoin which promotes tissue regeneration, and rosmarinic acid which damps down inflammation and reduces pain. Comfrey root cream is a popular and effective treatment for joint pain, sprains and strains.
A study involving 120 people with acute upper or lower back pain showed that rubbing in comfrey cream, three times a day for 4 to 6 days, reduced pain intensity by 95%, compared with just 38% reduction for inactive placebo cream. Comfrey works quickly, providing good pain relief within an hour of application. In fact, researchers have found that comfrey cream is more effective than a prescribed, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory treatment for treating ankle sprains.
Comfrey Ointment remains a popular treatment for a variety of muscle, joint and back aches and pains, because it works. Many original brands, developed by traditional medical herbalists are still going strong.