Massage May Be Best Approach For Back Pain
May 31, 2001 — Georgia Richardson has been fighting back pain for a long time. Arthritis, fibromyalgia, and the effects from a fall down the stairs have created such a painful condition for her that she hasn’t been able to continue to work as a teacher in the Philadelphia school system.
Fifteen years ago, her pain specialist suggested she try aquatic therapy because medical treatment couldn’t bring her relief. The exercises got her moving, but the day after a session, the extra activity just added to her pain.
But as a patient of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, she now is receiving two hourly sessions of massage therapy each week, right along with her medications and herbal therapy. The strategy, she says, has allowed her to return to the pool three times a week to continue her aquatics in the longest sessions she’s ever had.
“I feel great. I know, definitely, massage has been great for me,” says the energized patient — who first says she is “39 and holding,” then later adds that she’ll be 60 this August. All told, her routine has cut her pain in half, Richardson says.
“This provides some scientific evidence that massage may be useful for people with chronic back pain,” investigator Daniel C. Cherkin, PhD, tells WebMD. “Therefore, it’s certainly something that one with chronic back pain should consider trying.”
But massage isn’t the only option for back pain.
With reporting from David Flegel, MS
Best Portable: Mighty Bliss Deep Tissue And Back Massager
More than 9,000 shoppers gave this completely cordless massager a five-star rating for providing the perfect deep tissue massage. It uses powerful percussion movement to pulse up to 3,700 times per minute, so you can relieve knotted muscles and painful spasms. Each massager arrives with six interchangeable heads, which can be used to target different body parts, and can run for up to 120 minutes off a single charge. The ergonomic design is also super lightweight, so giving your back a little relief wont require an arm strengthening session, too.
Available at , $60
What Are The Best Types Of Massage For Back Pain
If you are new to massage, you could consider starting with a Swedish Massage. This treatment is relatively gentle and should be relaxing, but your therapist will be able to increase the pressure as needed in areas of particular tension.
If youre looking for something a bit more intense, think about a Deep Tissue Massage, which works intensely into layers of muscle.
If your back pain has been caused by an exercise related injury, consider a Sports Massage. This specialist massage takes into account your musculoskeletal system and lifestyle to promote healthy alignment, and can be incorporated as a part of a healthy training regime.
Also Check: Massage Therapy For Stroke Patients
What Is The Difference Between This Approach And Other Types Of Massages
As the name suggests, a deep tissue massage will require the professional to apply a greater amount of force in comparison to other methods, such as a Swedish massage. Although this might feel slightly strange during the first session, massaging deep tissues is an excellent way to loosen up muscles that have become cramped or strained. Also, the sessions themselves may last longer than other massages . Only professionals should perform this type of deep tissue massage therapy. It is important that your massage therapist has a significant amount of training, as well as an in-depth knowledge of the human anatomy.
Renpho Rechargeable Hand Held Deep Massager For Muscles
Charge up this RENPHO device and get ready to feel some relief. The cordless design keeps you from getting all tangled up. Youll appreciate the long handle when youre trying to get at a knot on the opposite side of your lower back. It comes with five different head attachments, too, so choose the one that feels best on your back.
Read Also: How To Become A Traveling Massage Therapist
Physical Treatment Whats The Best Massage For Back Pain Caused By Breasts
Physical therapy can aid you ease and also manage tenderness, as well as boost your movement as well as function so you can do daily activities. Physiotherapists are experienced in helping deal with both acute and severe back soreness.
Similar to massage treatment, hand-operated treatment solution is a specific type of physical therapy. It intends to control your muscular tissues as well as joints so theyre more structurally sound as well as can push a lot more easily. Think about it as an extra targeted and purposeful massage therapy.
Tips For The Best Self
Get the most out of your self-massage by preparing your body and your environment in advance. You can increase the effectiveness of your self-massage by creating a soothing environment and by loosening tight spots before attempting to release trigger points.
The following tips can help you boost the benefits of self-massage:
- Add heat: Take a hot bath or shower before giving yourself a massage to help loosen and relax tense muscles. Or add a heat source to your massage, such as a heating pad or hot towel.
- Stretch before you begin:Whether youre massaging your neck, back or feet, its a good idea to stretch gently before you begin to help loosen and lengthen tight muscles.
- Take deep breaths:Deep breathing can also help calm your nervous system and release tension before a massage. Close your eyes and take 5-10 deep breaths, relaxing your muscles as you exhale.
- Create a relaxing environment:Create a spa-like environment by moving to a quiet room and turning off bright lights. Sit in a comfortable chair on a supportive cushion. Play some calming music or light some aromatherapy candles to help induce relaxation.
Professionals also recommend drinking plenty of water after a massage to help boost hydration and encourage recovery after manipulating deep tissues.
You May Like: How Much Do Massage Envy Massages Cost
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Massage Chair For Neck And Back Pain
Now, when you do research prior to buying the best Massage Chair For Neck And Back Pain, there are certain things you need to consider. Because these considerations come into play by ensuring that you do not end up with the wrong choice.
Finding the perfect Massage Chair For Neck And Back Pain is not rocket science and doesnt require extensive research. Some important features which you should look out for are described below.
Moriyou Back Stretcher For Pain Relief Spine Deck With 3 Adjustable Settings Upper & Lower Back Pain Relief Stretcher For Spinal Decompression Spine Aligner For Bed Chair & Car With Massager Blue
- Designed by a Chiropractor for Daily Use Moriyou The back stretcher for pain relief wont snap or break, allowing you to control the intensity of your decompression while remaining safe and secure.
- Benefits of Spinal Decompression Spinal degeneration with a back stretcher can help to back pain relief, correct the posture imbalance, loosen up the tension generating within muscle fibers, relieve pressure, and elongate your spine.
- High Quality & Durability The spine deck is made of high toughness ABS, not easy to deform or break. There are 3 adjustable setting levels and 88 acupuncture points. The soft foam pad with long-term performance and durability makes you feel more comfortable.
- Economical Back Stretcher Our spine deck requires no batteries, consumes no electricity, and very economical. Yet, works well for low back pain and the lumbar spine. Its convenient, can be used at home, in the car, at the gym, or in the office.
- Live Your Healthy & Active Life Get posture therapy, back pain relief, deeper sleep, and improved mobility with the spine deck, designed to help you enjoy your life. Beginners or those who have a sore lumbar spine can add a soft cloth pad or towel when they first start using it to avoid direct contact with the hard waist plate, causing hurt.
You May Like: North Texas School Of Swedish Massage
Quality Of The Massage Chair For Neck And Back Pain
The quality of the product is an important factor. If you happen to get one with low-quality material, you will have a tough time trying to maneuver them.
Whatever you choose to buy, the quality should be first-rate. You dont want to waste money on something that looks or feels cheap when what you desire is elegance, coziness, and style.
Types And Styles Of Massage
There are two basic types of massage: whole body and structural. The whole body massage promotes general relaxation. The spine massage techniques that target specific muscles and connective tissue are called structural massages. A structural massage that targets the muscles from the buttocks and up to the neck is effective for relieving lower back pain.
Some massage styles include the whole body with a special focus on a targeted area. However, all massage styles have the likelihood of helping to relieve pain. The best style to have the most impact depends on what is causing the pain and preferences of the patient or client. The various styles of massage include, but are not limited to:
- Swedish massage a whole body gentle massage for relaxation and to relieve muscle knots.
- Shiatsu massage a Japanese style whole body massage using pulsing pressure and includes a focus on areas of the body needing attention.
- Trigger point massage the whole body that includes an extra focus on specific areas of pain caused by tightness in muscle tissues.
- Deep tissue massage a whole-body massage that uses pressure to relieve tension in deeper layers of connective tissues and muscles.
There are other styles of massage, like Reflexology and Sports Massage, but the ones listed are some of the more common. For people who experience back pain, massage therapy can bring much-needed relief. There is no set amount of sessions recommended because each situation is different.
Read Also: Lucky Massage And Skin Care
Conquering Lower Back Pain With Massage Therapy
Suffering from stubborn lower back pain that isnt responding to medication? Massage therapy might be the answer.
Massage therapy involves gentle or firm palpation of the bodys soft tissues for medical purposes. Using various techniques and levels of pressure, your massage therapist will manipulate sore muscles, fascial adhesions, inflamed tendons/ligaments, and more.
The overarching goal of massage therapy is pain reduction. However, patients may be surprised to learn that massage therapy also boasts the following benefits:
- Enhances flexibility and range of motion in stiff joints
- Improves blood flow to an injured area, stimulating the healing process
- Encourages and supports a robust immune system response
- Relieves anxiety, depression, stress, and insomnia
- Boosts endorphins, our bodys natural reserve of painkillers
- Offers a safe alternative to potentially habit-forming medications
- Releases muscle tension, spasms, and fascial adhesions, common culprits of lower back pain
- Stimulates the lymphatic system to assist in toxin removal
- Instills a sense of overall wellness and contentment
The verdict is in: Not only does massage therapy work, it works well.
According to the American Massage Therapy Association, 88% of participants reported experiencing significant pain reduction after undergoing a course of massage therapy. And, 70% agree: Massage therapy should be regarded as a legitimate form of interventional medicine.
Comfier Heating Pad For Back Pain Heat Belly Wrap Belt With Vibration Massage
Do you have mid-low back pain? A mid-back focus that is behind you, might make it difficult to use a massager you manually manipulate, so getting something you wear will be most comfortable, says Dr. Cole. Try strapping on this Comfier option. The heat and massage settings used together provide tension relief and increase blood circulation. It has two heat settings, three massage modes, and two levels of vibration intensity.
Don’t Miss: How To Start A Massage Spa Business
Calibrate Your Everyday Schedule
When you are in soreness, you require to make modifications to the way you approach regular activities. The key to bouncing back from severe back as well as neck pain is keeping the regular curvature of the back. Supporting the hollow of your back and practicing great posture will assist reduce your recovery time.
Spondylosis Whats The Best Massage For Back Pain
Age brings about thinner discs in the spine as well as narrower spaces in between the vertebrae. Osteophytes, or small items of bone, might create around the sides of the vertebral head and aspect joints.
It is not uncommon for pain in the back to be come with by leg pain as well as numbness or prickling. Signs of sciatica include discomfort in the back and also legs. A spinal nerve is compressed or inflamed by pressure.
Sciatica is usually connected with leg soreness as well as, periodically, no pain in the back whatsoever. The major reason of sciatica is a bulging disc that continue the nerve.
Protruding discs aid our spines move smoothly however often, these bulges cause irritation to nerve roots in the leg and also foot, causing pain.
Recovery is generally speedy for lots of people, although it can take numerous months for some. The earliest you can start exercising will certainly aid get rid of sciatic nerve pain signs and symptoms.
Don’t Miss: Massage Therapist That Come To Your Home
Davinci Tool Firm Usa Made Occipital Release Tool Suboccipital Release Device Red Neck Wedge And Still Point Inducer For Neck Shoulder Back & Tmj Pain Relief Tension Headache Relief Device
- Neck Tension Relief Soothe muscles in your neck to relieve headaches, migraines, and stress. Use as a neck cracker device to help with symptoms associated with occipital neuralgia and cervical headaches.
- Pressure Point Tool The most versatile neck pressure point device and myofascial release tool, the DaVinci Tool relieves pain and reduces tension nearly anywhere on your body.
- 3 Different Edges Equipped with Round, Pointed and Scalloped edges to be the only neck massage tool youll ever need. Each side is a unique cervical neck traction device for sciatica pain relief.
- Compact & Durable At only 4 inches on the longest side and weighting less than 5 ounces, the DaVinci Tool fits perfectly in any gym bag or pack. The original DaVinci Tool is proudly Made in the USA from premium grade medical material and backed by U.S. customer support.
- Extra Firm vs Firm DaVinci Extra Firm for more intense tension, DaVinci firm for less intense. There will be some discomfort. Exercise caution and do use for longer than 30 seconds. Consult with your medical professional before use.
Make Workstation Modifications Whats The Best Massage For Back Pain Caused By Breasts
Poor position because of slumping over or stressing at a desk might inflict back agony and various other muscle pains. Using functional designs to customize an office can aid reduce agony as a result of poor posture.
An individual must ensure their computer system display is at eye level which their chair is at the right elevation.
Suitable ergonomics at the workplace may help reduce back distress as well as other injuries, according to the Occupational Safety And Security as well as Wellness Administration in the USA.
One research study in Denmark located that people who worked in retirement home or residence care had much less lower pain in the back after changes in comfort designs, combined with behavior treatments as well as physical training.
If a person does any type of training for their work, they need to squat and also utilize their legs, not their back, for support. It is best to request for help or make use of trolleys when moving really heavy items.
You May Like: Power Reclining Sectional Sofa With Heat And Massage
Hot Stone Or Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
Both hot stone massage and Himalayan salt stone massage involve smooth, sterilized rocks that have been heated in distilled water. Your licensed massage therapist may place them along your back, and also use the stones as an extension of their hands.
Similar to heating pads, hot stones are great for back pain for the following reason:
- They cause blood vessels to dilate, increasing the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients to the area
- They stimulate sensory receptors, which decrease pain transmissions to the brain
- They cause muscles and soft tissues to become more pliable and less stiff, which alleviates pain
Ireliev Relaxable Pillow Massager
A discreet massager that will look great in your home
Place the iReliev pillow massager on your couch and no-one will ever know that the comfortable cushion is a powerful pain relief tool!
Available in four different colors, its one of the most attractive massage cushions on the market.
Its not style over substance though:
Tuck the pillow into your lower back and the circular kneading motion of the two-way massage nodes help to relieve back pain.
Enjoy the flexibility of three different speeds to reach the intensity you need.
Plus its cordless and rechargeable!
As if that wasnt enough, the Relaxable pillow contains infrared ceramic bulbs that deliver penetrating heat.
Though you can expect a great massage, you wont get the power of a percussion massager like the Theragun PRO.
On the flip side though it is really versatile.
You can position it wherever you need on your back, slip it under tired legs or even ease your neck pain.
Recommended Reading: Massage For Stress And Anxiety
Will Stress In My Shoulders And Neck Cause Lower Back Pain
Sometimes youll find that a general back and glute massage will ease many pain across your spine that you didnt even know you had until we started working you. Think about how small the bones and tiny muscles of your vertebrae are. If theyre connected to larger muscles, which pull them out of alignment, then youll feel pain all over the place. For instance, one common complaint that our therapists will often track shoulder and neck pain back to standing on one dominant leg.
Its surprising when you read that therapy release techniques for your buttocks sometimes helps pain in your neck. But it can be one of the most effective techniques at giving relief.